?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Which I didn't post about because I was stealing time from transcription as it was.

There were a lot of moments I enjoyed (and a few moments of sartorial WTF), but they were basically all blown away by Virtue & Moir, both during their ENTIRE program and when the scores came up. The latter would be when I shouted "HOLY SHIT!" at the top of my classically-trained lungs.

Three events down, one to go.

Tags:

Comments

( 10 comments — Leave a comment )
neonhummingbird
Feb. 23rd, 2010 08:47 pm (UTC)
Funny,t hat's pretty much exactly what I yelled, without the benefit of your lungs. I don't think I've ever seen a free dance score that high, not that they didn't earn every point of it. But is it just me, or have the judges been on happy pills for the entire skating competition?
wiliqueen
Feb. 23rd, 2010 08:49 pm (UTC)
I haven't been paying enough attention the last few years to know, honestly. Though it does seem that way purely in light of the "benchmark" numbers NBC has been quoting.
maiac
Feb. 24th, 2010 01:17 am (UTC)
It seemed to me that a whole lot of the skaters beat their Personal Best in this event.
neonhummingbird
Feb. 23rd, 2010 08:51 pm (UTC)
I'm standing by happy pills, just comparing the scores here to the scores at the Grand Prix events. I can believe lots of skaters ramping it up for the Olympics and getting personal bests, but the majority of them?!?

(The happy judging for the Pairs actively annoyed me in spots, but I'm getting past that.)
tzikeh
Feb. 23rd, 2010 09:20 pm (UTC)
I just loved seeing Virtue come out of that hug with Moir and say (and you can *totally* read her lips) "We just won the Olympics!!"
ceridwyn2
Feb. 24th, 2010 12:02 am (UTC)
That was a brilliant skate. Watching the two of them on a CTV interview at the moment in interview with Brian Williams.
quasievil_bunny
Feb. 24th, 2010 01:00 am (UTC)
That was soooooo AWESOME!!
maiac
Feb. 24th, 2010 01:15 am (UTC)
My Never-Humble Opinion
There are Torville & Dean, and there are everybody else who's ever competed in ice dancing. Virtue & Moir are the only couple I saw last night who are worthy to tie Torville & Dean's skate laces.

Random observations:

That was Very Weird music Belbin & Agosto chose. I don't think it helped them at all.

Domnina & Shabalin could have been less gracious about "only" getting the bronze if they'd refused to get on the podium. But not by much. Frankly, I was peeved that they got the bronze, if only because of those WTF costumes. (I suspect that they got bonus points for being all Russian 'n' shit, and that they considered themselves entitled to the gold because they're all Russian 'n' shit.)

*Loved* the way Tessa was all bouncy and Scott was all "I can't believe it". They are adorable.

I don't think I've ever seen figure skaters do a victory lap. It made me grin a big grin.
wiliqueen
Feb. 24th, 2010 09:37 pm (UTC)
Re: My Never-Humble Opinion
I'm inclined to agree re: T&D. But I also think there's plenty of room for immense awesome between here and there. :-)

That was Very Weird music Belbin & Agosto chose. I don't think it helped them at all.

They puzzle me. About 85% of the time, they're packaged extremely well -- music, choreography, costuming. Then the other 15% of the time is "Whaaaaaaaaat?" Not really anything in between. Actual exchange in my living room before they skated (or even before we saw Ben's Elvis outfit)...

Me: Tanith, what are you WEARING?

brainiacfive: The tattered remains of a penguin?

Me: She could look good wearing a live penguin, but that's... Huh.

I wasn't as bothered by Domnina & Shabalin's costumes or performance as others (though I think the former were dicey execution of an interesting idea). I actually kinda like the batshit conceptual branch of Russian ice dance, back to Bestemianova & Bukin. (Not that I always think they should score well with it, but I have fun watching it.)

Then I went to bed before I heard them say anything, which sounds like it was wise. *eyeroll* Apparently Putin's economic policy is affecting the supply of sportsmanship.
maiac
Feb. 24th, 2010 10:00 pm (UTC)
Re: My Never-Humble Opinion
I haven't heard any quotes from the Russian bronze medalists, which is probably just as well. Their expressions were enough.

By contrast, it was a joy to see the Davis & White sharing the happiness. Mind you, a silver medal is reason enough for happy, but they seemed genuinely delighted for their training partners. (And Canton, woo! Go Michigan!)
( 10 comments — Leave a comment )

Profile

sugarplum
wiliqueen
Valerie - Postmodern Pollyanna
WiliQueen's Woods

Latest Month

November 2016
S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by chasethestars